Since the last entry, I’ve been working on several other WordPress (WP) web logs. Here is what I learned about importing from Tumblr.
Two of the web logs I’ve been working on needed to be imported from Tumblr. Underin the WordPress dashboard is an option for importing from Tumblr (as well as Blogger, Blogroll, LiveJournal, Movable Type and TypePad, RSS, and WordPress).
The entire process was easy and effective. Wonderfully well designed, WordPress.ORG.
However, because I was simultaneously creating subdomains on the new site as I was importing, I had some unnecessary confusion.
This “simultaneously creating subdomains” is not recommended. Yes, I had to create “notwithoutsincerity.myplaza.xyz” and “wholeheaptogether.myplaza.xyz” in order to import the two web logs. That was fine. But I soon learned that subdomain names need to propagate just as do domain names—or so it seems.
The lesson: get all your subdomains in place an hour or so before you either (1) import a site from Tumblr to locate your WP site within the subdomain or (2) refer an existing WordPress site to the (new) subdomain.
As it turned out, not all my images came in from Tumblr. I’ll never know how much of this resulted from the subdomain not having been propagated when I began the import process.
There’s a WP plugin for importing the images distinct from the primary import-Tumblr tool, but I didn’t use it when I noticed the missing images. They had already been downsampled by the theme I used in Tumblr, so I went back to my photo library and created higher resolution ones.
 While it’s not part of this topic, I was changing domain names for my WP sites (from in1accord.net to myplaza.xyz). I’d create a new subdomain through cPanel (e.g. walkaroundwaneka.myplaza.xyz) and then follow the recommended instructions for changing a WP site’s domain name. However, because the subdomain name had not propagated, when I went to the WP site, many links appeared broken, although they were not. Patience, man, patience.